A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal amadeya42

on this site
current topics
topic 40647

Bleach and C.L.R. accidentally mixed


Q. I accidentally mixed bleach with C.L.R., and I realized this can't be good, I did breathe some in and was wondering what my concerns should be?

Saverio Portolesi
T.J industries - hamilton, Ontario, Canada


A. If you feel fine, I think your first concern should be to not do it again, and to tell family and friends not to do it, Saverio. If you want to go to the doctor about it, do so. If I felt fine I probably wouldn't go to the doctor, but that's just the personal philosophy of an individual who you never met and might not trust if you did; it's not medical advice. Clearly a phone call to the doctor's office is the prudent thing.

Ted Mooney, amadeya42.com Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey

January 5, 2008

Q. Hey, I just did the same thing and now my throat is sore. As soon as they mixed my sinuses were flooded with a burning sensation. Did the feeling go away on its own or are you still suffering? I mean, WOW, I thought I was under a biological weapons attack or something; the second they mixed I was completely overwhelmed with a burning sensation in my throat, lungs, and nose. Did things work out for you? My throat doesn't feel right and I don't have money for doctors. Lesson learned though. Anyway, please post an update as to what happened. Thanks.

Adam Smith
- NY, New York

January 7, 2008

thumbsdownPlease don't try to judge your medical situation by the effects of the fumes on someone else, Adam, whose body is not only different but who also may have received a far smaller dose. Chlorine gas and OCl-'s are extremely bad for you, and you clearly should call your doctor.

Ted Mooney, amadeya42.com
Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey

June 30, 2015

Q. So if my daughter mixed these while cleaning and her side hurts when breathing...
... is there something to do at home to counteract the chemical?

Deborah Eldred
- Mebane North Carolina usa

July 2015

A. Hi Deborah. The bleach or C.L.R. bottle might have "emergency" procedures but, even if so, those are designed to immediately counteract the action of the chemical in the first few seconds or minutes, not to treat the patient. Neither readers here nor preprinted instructions can offer medical advice. You should definitely call your doctor's office and let the nurse who answers the phone tell you whether the doctor wants to see her or not. Best of luck.


pic of Ted Mooney
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Striving to live "Aloha"

Did constant bleach and dog urine exposure cause my heart attack?

November 20, 2017

Q. I clean at a grooming shop. Breathe bleach and dog urine every day. They do not provide breathing mask. Worked there for three years. Had a heart attack. Could that situation have caused the heart attack?

jack b [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- sacramento California

November 2017

A. Hi "Jack". Your health is a subject to discuss with a doctor if you are planning to continue on the job, and with a personal injury attorney if you're looking to assign blame. The first question either will probably ask is whether you smoke, if your weight is within guidelines, whether you exercise regularly, if you track your blood pressure & cholesterol, whether the attack happened at work or home, etc.

Although I doubt that anyone will be able to quote you studies on the relationship between dog urine and heart attacks, or bleach and heart attacks, or dog urine plus bleach, plus or minus dog hair plus or minus shampoo, etc. ... clearly, we humans have known for millennia that the constant breathing of foul air is generally bad for us. Best of luck towards a speedy, permanent recovery.


pic of Ted Mooney
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey
Striving to live "Aloha"

December 26, 2017

A. Hello Jack,
Dog urine commonly contains a large amount of ammonia and if the vapors mix with bleach vapors nasty and dangerous compounds can be produced. As a result, seizures, headaches and other effects such as nausea have been observed. I hope you get better soon and I'd recommend air exchange and improved ventilation. If you can open a couple of windows and invest in a powerful fan or two it may help.

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site


Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a amadeya42 problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2018 amadeya42.com, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ - -